This is a ‘meat-lovin’-husband-approved’ vegie lasagne. The lentils give it great substance, the cauli-‘cheese’ sauce is awesome and everything comes together in many delicious layers! It’s super cheesy with only 50g of cheese in the whole lasagne, that’s less than 10g per slice!
There’s quite a lot of work putting this together, but it makes HEAPS to last all week.
Lentil Lasagne with Cauliflower Bechamel
serves 8-10 , 45 minutes preparation and 2 hours cooking
Salt and Pepper
2 onions, diced
4 sticks of celery, diced
4 carrots, diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 medium eggplant, diced
200g mushrooms, sliced
1.5 cups of lentils
5 bay leaves
2 stock cubes
2 x 800g cans of diced tomatoes
1 cup of red wine
3 cups of water
1 large butternut pumpkin (squash), diced and microwaved until soft, then mashed
375g of fresh lasagne sheets
1 medium cauliflower, microwaved until soft
50g parmesan, grated
1. In a massive pot, fry onion in a little oil and a good pinch of salt until soft
2. Add bay leaves, carrots and celery, then garlic
3. Layer on top of the onion mix the lentils, one stock cube, eggplant, mushrooms, wine, water and tomatoes. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours until rich and a little thickened.
4. Make the cauliflower béchamel by blending until smooth the cauliflower, one stock cube and enough water/milk to make it a nice smooth sauce.
5. Layer the lasagne in a massive tray: lentil mix, lasagne sheet, ½ the pumpkin, lentil mix, repeat until the tray is full. Finish with the cauliflower béchamel, a sprinkle of nutmeg and the parmesan.
6. Bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees (350 degrees F).
I am a huge, huge fan of lentils!!