Sometimes you just want breakfast to feel a little special on a Tuesday, but you don’t have time for anything elaborate. Or some days just feel better if they’re started with cake.
This cake meets all your morning needs, it’s a well-rounded breakfast that can make any day a little more exciting.
Coconut flour is a funny beast to bake with, until I tried this recipe I found it usually makes this dense and gluggy. Given that microwave mug cakes are also often dense and gluggy I thought I was heading for disaster. But, surprise! This cake is really light, almost like a sponge cake!
So if you bought coconut flour and now don’t know what to do with it, I recommend trying this cake to change your mind about coconut flour. Coconut banana breakfast cake is super quick and versatile.
Once you’ve tried the basic version try adding spices or fruit. My current favourite is diced peach which dots little bursts of sweet, warm peach in every mouthful! Delightful.
Coconut Banana Breakfast Cake serves 1, 2 minutes preparation and 3.5 minutes cooking
272 calories; 19g fat; 64g carbs (32 sugar); 19 g protein
1 very ripe Cavendish (cooking) banana (fresh or frozen)
1.5 tbs coconut flour (2 tbs US)
¼ tsp baking powder or bicarb soda
Pinch of salt
In a ramekin or mug:
• Mash banana (microwave for 1 minute if frozen – this is actually easier than a fresh banana)
• Add all the other ingredients, mix well
• Microwave for 3.5 to 4.5 minutes (check if it’s still mushy in the centre to tell if it needs longer)
• Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and fresh fruit
• Add cinnamon, vanilla or other sweet spices
• Add chopped peach before cooking – delicious gooey peach bits, or other fresh fruits
• Add chocolate bits or nuts
• Add raisins or other dried fruit pieces